If you love camping, you know the importance of a good swag tent. There are so many on the market that it can often be difficult to determine which is right for you.
Sturdiness, protection from elements, ease of use, and portability are just a few of the many aspects you have to consider when buying a new swag.
We took a detailed look at six of the most popular double swags in Australia.
In our opinion, the Wanderer Double Extreme Swag is the best double swag currently available.
If you need to buy something a bit cheaper, then the Oztrail Cooper Expedition Double Swag was the cheapest double swag we reviewed, and we felt the Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag presented the best overall value.
Read on for a detailed look at each of the six double swags we looked at as well as some things you should consider when buying a double swag before you make your final choice.
✔ Very Affordable
✔ Great Internal Storage
✔ More Internal Space
The following canvas double swags have been reviewed in detail throughout this article, followed by a buyers guide about what to keep in mind when trying to find the best double swag awning for you.
- Oztrail Cooper Expedition Double Swag (Cheapest Double Swag)
- Wanderer Double Heavy Duty Extreme Swag (Best Overall Double Swag)
- Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag (Best Value Double Swag)
- XTM 4×4 Double Swag (Affordable Double Swag)
- 23Zero Outbreak Double Swag 1550 (Best Design Double Swag)
- Southern Cross Double Enclosed Swag (Australian Made Double Swag)
Best Double Swag – In Depth Reviews
Oztrail Cooper Expedition Double Swag (Cheapest Double Swag)
The Oztrail Cooper Expedition Double Swag is one of the simplest double swags you can find on the market, and it happens to be the most affordable option as well. It does not require any setup; you can just roll it and get in.
You will get a 230gsm ripstop canvas shielding you from the outdoors, along with a PVC vinyl base that will protect you from the ground. Remain comfortable with a 5cm high-density open-cell foam mattress.
- Budget Friendly
- No Set-Up
- No Head Clearance
- Thin Mattress
This double swag also includes sturdy pegs, rope, webbing roll straps, and double D-rings.
It features an external dimension and sleeping area of 200Lx120W cm with a head clearance of 32 cm for a total sleeping capacity of two.
When packed away, the dimensions of this double swag are 120Lx24Wx24H cm. The Oztrail Cooper weighs 5.2 kg and comes with a one-year warranty.
Wanderer Double Heavy Duty Extreme Swag (Best Overall Double Swag)
If you are fine with spending some extra money to get the absolute best double swag available, then the Wanderer Double Extreme Swag is the perfect choice for you. Its dimensions are 215Lx140Wx78/50H cm, weighing 22.2 kg with a capacity of two people.
The 8 cm thick self-inflating 4WD mattress inside the Wanderer double swag gives you a restful sleep, while the multiple entries provide convenience in entry and exit during the night.
- Lots of Room
- Waterproof Canvas
- Very Sturdy
The primary material Wanderer uses in this double swag is 520 GSM Waterproof poly-cotton canvas, while the floor material is 850GSM PVC bucket floor.
The solid and lightweight alloy dome poles give you the stability you need for the rough Aussie weather. You also get a dust cover for carrying it.
The dome swags come with an internal pocket, which is great for shoe storage. You also get a side window with a no-see-um mesh providing you with ventilation and insect protection during hot summers.
You won’t have to worry about untimely rain, as the canvas is waterproof. It comes with a one-year warranty.
Why is it better than the others?
While the Wanderer double swag is on the expensive side, it offers features that very few double swags can claim to offer. The primary differentiators are a side window with mesh for ventilation, a waterproof canvas, and a sturdy design.
There are also smaller aspects like internal pockets or multiple entries that prove that there is attention to detail in this product.
Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag (Best Value Double Swag)
The Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag is an excellent choice for people who like plenty of room. It has dimensions of 215Lx155Wx100H cm and weighs 16.9 kg. The headspace is enormous as it touches nearly 100 cm.
This deluxe double swag provides you with 100% waterproof 400 gsm ripstop poly-cotton canvas with double stitched seams and a PVC bucket floor base.
- Sturdy but Lightweight
- Dual Entry
- Multi-step Set-Up
The swag has plenty of room as it accommodates two people comfortably in its queen-sized mattress, which is 2.1 m long, and over 1.5 m wide.
The mattress is also 7 cm thick and comes with a removable poly-cotton cover for a more restful sleep. The sturdy end poles are 10.2 mm in diameter, and the spreader/center pole has a robust telescopic alloy design.
This swag has a unique twin pole and free-standing design with easily attachable polyester pole clip loops, which offer a simple setup and quick pack up. Even though this swag does not come with a bag, when folded up, it boasts dimensions of 160 x 38 cm.
The Kings Big Daddy double swag features sandfly-proof mesh with heavy-duty zippers and large storm flaps that keeps you dry and warm in all weather.
There are large entries on both sides of the swag for easy entry/exit and better airflow.
Why is it the best value?
The Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag is the best double swag that provides many premium features at a fair price.
The sturdy design, waterproof canvas, thick mattress, and high headspace are some of the features you only find in high-end double swags, which Kings Big Daddy offers at a relatively lower price.
XTM 4×4 Double Swag (Affordable Double Swag)
If you are an intelligent buyer, then you are always looking for the best value product. XTM 4×4 Double Swag is the best value double swag you can find. The XTM double swag is quite easy to set up.
This double swag features a 400 GSM Ripstop poly-cotton as the primary material in the canvas, which is combined with double-stitched seams. The thick 450 GSM PVC Bucket flooring keeps both moisture and rain out.
- Easy Set Up
- Good head height
- Thin mattress for some
Its dimensions are 215Lx140Wx83H cm, and its packed dimensions are 155Lx35Wx35H cm. You get an ahead clearance of 83 cm with a 50 mm thick, soft foam mattress for sleeping at night.
The alloy poles give sturdy yet lightweight support to the swag and keep the overall weight to only 14 kg.
The internal pockets give you a convenient place to keep your essentials organized. You will also get a dust cover to cover the swag. XTM provides you with one year of warranty.
23Zero Outbreak Double Swag 1550
The Outbreak 1550 double swag is made with 400gsm tightly proofed and woven poly-cotton blend canvas for a durable shelter and weighing 22.2 kg.
Its dimensions are 230Lx155W cm + awning and a sleeping area of 215Lx150W cm, providing enough space for two people and with enough space left over for your gear. The headspace is 100 cm which is exceptionally high.
- Sturdy and Robust
- Great headroom
- Angled sides increase space
- Internal pockets hard to access
The swag is entirely seam-sealed for enhanced protection combined with a High Frequency welded PVC floor to shield you from the ground, while the inner material is 125gsm Superfine Mesh.
There is an extremely fine mesh window on each end, along with zip-down canvas walls for wet conditions.
The 70 mm thick, high-density foam mattress comes with a poly-cotton cover to provide comfort at night. The 16 mm Anodized Segmental Dome Poles provide support to the swag.
The four-sided entry to the swag makes going in and out of the 23Zero Double Swag very easy, especially at night. There are four storage pockets inside the swag for your essentials.
This swag also offers scenic, panoramic 360-degree views through its windows. It includes a carry bag and peg bag and comes with two years of warranty.
Southern Cross Double Enclosed Swag (Australian Made Double Swag)
The Southern Cross Double Enclosed Swag is a great choice for people who prefer a simplistic design. It has dimensions of 213Lx128Wx75H cm, which folds up to dimensions of 250 mm – 300 mm, and weighs 10 kg.
The swag features Wax Converters Dynaproofed Canvas, rot and mildew resistant with a UV rating of 50+ protection. The base is made of Vinyl 520 gsm with welded seams.
- Simple but sturdy design
- Long warranty
This enclosed swag provides super fine and UV-stabilised fly screens that are also sand-fly and midge-proof, keeping you dry and warm with No.10 spiral zips.
It features foot bows that are made from high-strength, aerospace 7075-T9 alloy; they also have a scratch-resistant hard-anodized surface.
The interior window at the head end allows excellent ventilation. You are provided with a 50 mm mattress with high-density foam and a removable cover.
The swag also features 5 cm roll-up straps and 5 cm quick-release buckles with a carry handle for easy transportation. You can also use this as a flat swag without any setup.
You also get internal pockets to keep your essential things. Southern Cross offers five years of manufacturer’s warranty on its double swag for any defect.
Double Swag Buyers Guide
Different swag styles
If you start researching different double swags, you will find many different styles. Some swags are entirely flat and can only be used for sleeping, as the headspace is almost non-existent, while some have a canvas that provides much more headspace.
Some swags come with multiple windows, while some have multiple entry/exit points. You will find many options to choose from in every price range.
Head clearance inside (height)
Decent head clearance is a crucial part of the high-quality swag. You won’t find much head clearance in flat swags as you can practically only use them for sleeping, but some swags with canvas have a head clearance of around 50 cm to 80 cm.
In some swags, the head clearance can even be up to 100 cm. Make sure you buy the right swag per your height and comfort.
Type of canvas material
The canvas is probably the most important part of any swag. The canvas usually has to go through the most wear and tear, and therefore it needs to be tough and durable. Ripstop poly-cotton is the most commonly used material for canvas in high-quality swags.
Ripstop is made of a unique reinforcing technique for special protection against any harsh weather. The GSM is the unit in which you can measure the quality of a ripstop. You can consider any canvas with more than 400 GSM ripstop as its material to be great.
Thickness of mattress
In most cases, the thickness of the mattress is directly proportional to comfort. Most swags have a mattress of thickness between 5 to 8 cm. Make sure to pick the right swag for you, depending on how thick of a mattress you prefer.
Type of mattress
The type of mattress does not change between various swags as it’s usually a high-density foam mattress, with some swags having a poly-cotton removable cover provided.
Type of poles/quality
The pole size and quality play a significant role in the strength of your swag. The poles consist of different types of materials for different swags.
Alloy poles are common in most swags as they provide a lot of strength to the canvas, which is important for big swags. The diameter of the poles usually varies from 12 mm to 16 mm, depending upon the size of the swags.
The structure and design depict how sturdy and heavy the swag will be.
Some have a spreader or center pole, while some have a two-pole free-standing design that is slightly easier to set up. There are also flat swags that do not require any setup at all.
Ease of setup
This is the feature that separates a beginner from an expert. If you buy a swag that has tons of cool features but is tough for you to set up, then there’s no benefit in buying it.
I would personally always suggest a beginner buy an easy-to-set-up swag.
When you are inside a closed swag, it’s essential that it keeps you dry and warm and has good airflow. A fine mesh inside or sand-fly and midge-proof fly screens that separate you from the outer environment and increase air circulation is what you need.
Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag Vs. XTM 4×4 Double Swag
The Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag and XTM 4×4 Double Swag are two of the top double swags you can find. Both have excellent features at a very reasonable price.
This section will draw a head-on comparison between the market pioneers and analyze which product provides the best value for your money. I will also provide a winner on each specification.
Let’s look at some of the primary similarities and differences between the two swags.
- Canvas Material: I mentioned how important the canvas is in the buying guide. Both the Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag and XTM 4×4 Double Swag feature 400 gsm ripstop poly-cotton canvas with double stitched seams that provide excellent support against any kind of weather.
- Price: Another factor essential to determine if the product is valuable or not is its price. The prices of both these swags pretty much fall in the same range.
- Base: Both double swags provide you with the same PVC bucket floor base to stop moisture from coming in.
- Large Dual Entries: You will find two entry/exit points on both sides of the swags. These entries also allow for better air circulation.
- Poles: Like most high-quality swags, these two also have an alloy pole design.
- Ventilation: As both swags have similar canvas material, they provide pretty much the same ventilation.
- Size: There’s a considerable difference between the size of both the swags. The dimensions of the XTM 4×4 Double Swag are 215Lx140Wx83H cm, while the Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag measures 215Lx155Wx100H cm. The Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag provides more room than the XTM 4×4.
- Head Clearance: Another major difference related to size is the head clearance in both double swags. The Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag provides 100 cm of head clearance, while the ceiling of XTM 4×4 Double Swag only reaches 83 cm.
- Mattress Thickness: Let’s discuss your comfort while sleeping. Both the Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag and the XTM 4×4 Double Swag have thick foam mattresses, but the former’s thickness (7 cm) is 2 cm thicker than the latter (5 cm).
- Weight: The weight probably won’t make much difference to you unless the difference is significant, but it is still worth mentioning. The Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag weighs 16.9 kg, while the XTM 4×4 Double Swag weighs 14 kg.
Winner: XTM 4×4 Double Swag
- Structure: The Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag has a twin pole and a free-standing design, and the XTM 4×4 Double Swag has a standard design with centre poles.
- Packed Dimensions: Many people probably won’t consider it an important factor, but it does give you an idea of how easy it would be to transport the swags. The packed dimensions of the Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag are 160Lx38W cm, and the packed dimensions of XTM 4×4 are 155Lx35Wx35H cm.
- Bag: The XTM 4×4 has an edge here as it comes with a dust cover, while the Kings Big Daddy Deluxe does not have a bag included in the package.
Winner: XTM 4×4 Double Swag
- Ease Of Setup: While both the double swags are pretty easy to set up, the XTM 4×4 has a slight advantage as it is much simpler, even for beginners.
Winner: XTM 4×4 Double Swag
- Storm Flaps: The Kings Big Daddy Deluxe Double Swag features large storm flaps that help in withstanding stormy weather. XTM 4×4 Double Swag does not have flaps like that.
Best Double Swag – Conclusion
We hope this comparison of six of the popular canvas double swags in Australia was helpful. If you can’t afford the Wanderer, but you really need one cheap and quickly, the Kings Big Daddy is a really popular budget double swag option.